Monday, April 7, 2014

Andrew's birth story

I consider myself very blessed to have had two relatively easy pregnancies.  We had a harder time getting pregnant with Andrew, but I really can't complain about the actual pregnancy.  I was a little queasy in the first trimester but never really sick.  I was able to exercise throughout my pregnancy with both boys.

Near the end of my pregnancy, I was just so anxious to meet this little guy!  This winter was a bad ones, which resulted in an extended Christmas break by 3 days.  This time was so nice because Brad and I were able to get so much done with the nursery and getting out all of  the baby stuff.

I was due on February 17th, which was a Monday.  Since John was born on his due date, I wasn't too sure if I would be early or late.  I worked right up until February 14, which was the Friday before,  I thought for sure I would have had the baby by then!  When I went for my 39 week appointment, I was already dilated to a 4 and 65% effaced.  My dr didn't think it would be much longer, but Andrew must have been pretty content in there.  We went back to the dr on the following Monday, and I was dilated to a 5.  Dr. Garcia decided to schedule an induction the next morning to get contractions started. We were so excited, but so nervous!!!  It was supposed to storm and snow all night and I was so worried I would go into labor in the night and we wouldn't make it in time.  Luckily, he stayed put!

It worked out perfect because my father in law came to stay with John.  So, Brad and I left for the hospital around 7:30 on Tuesday morning and got checked in!  They admitted me and hooked me up to pitocin to get some contractions started.  The whole experience was so calm and surreal!  The contractions started and they weren't bad at all.  They kept upping the medication and soon they were 2-3 minutes apart.  They were going to break my water, so I got an epidural and it was go time!  Things moved pretty fast from here.  After my water broke, the contractions started to get intense and  when they checked me, I was ready to push!  I only pushed for about 25 minutes and he was born!!!

My entire labor and hospital stay was so different this time.  It was so calm and less stressful this time.  Andrew did great from the start with nursing, which also helped.  John was so excited to come to the hospital to meet his new little brother!  He wasn't too sure at first, but he warmed up quickly.

We stayed at the hospital until Thursday and then came home as a family of four!  The adventure begins!

No comments: