Saturday, February 27, 2010

Updates/Overreacting

Last night I (we) experienced our first time of being paranoid first time parents. We had our standard 38 week appointment last Wednesday, no big news. Since Wednesday, I have not been feeling the baby move hardly at all. Usually this guy is SUPER active and keeps me awake, jabs me, legs and feet constantly jabbing me, etc. I know the later things go, the less room he has and the less movement he will make, but it was one of those things that I started to get really worried about. I laid awake Thursday night in bed all night, just waiting. I drank a coke and had some crackers (okay, some girl scout cookies, same thing :), and nothing, nada. And of course everything always seems 1000 times worse at 3 AM. Friday morning Brad tried to talk me into going to the doctor but I told him I would wait and see how things were once I got up and moving around. I was so tired on Friday, which also makes me more emotional and worried. After not feeling much movement on Friday we decided to call the doctor. They were already closed, but told us we could always go to the hospital to get my fluid levels checked to make sure. So we did. And everything is fine. And I'm sure this won't be the last time we are paranoid about something!

We did get to have an ultrasound at the hospital and see our little guy! We got to see his cute little face. He was sleeping, but we could see his lips moving. I think he looks just like Brad. :) The midwife at the hospital said the ultrasound was showing him to be 7 pounds, 9 ounces!!! That is a lot bigger than I was expecting! They did say those are usually within a pound, either way. At my last appointment my doctor predicted him to be in the low 7's when he is born. So those seem about right. Either way, as long as he is healthy, it doesn't matter. Although the thought of pushing out a big baby scares me!

They hooked me up to the monitors for a while and it was fun to just watch his heartbeat on the screen. I was having some small contractions, but I couldn't feel them. I go back to the doctor on Wednesday, and I will get my first exam to see my progress. I still think it is going to be a while. I only have one more week at work though! I hope he isn't two weeks late and I am just sitting around at home, but either way, he will be here very soon! I can't wait!!! Oh, and my back is feeling SO much better! I have been going to the chiropractor, which seems to be helping, so no more limping! I might even attempt to walk on the treadmill this weekend! Yay!

So I am very relieved we went. Even if it was silly, it was worth the peace of mind. He still isn't moving much, so I know I would have been paranoid all weekend. Although I have to tell you how cute Brad was once we decided we would go to the hospital. He packed up our car with all of our hospital bags, the video camera, you name it. I was standing in the hallway saying, "We don't need that, I really don't think we will be staying." About 5 minutes later, I walk back into the kitchen to see what he is doing, and he was packing his "snack bag." At his Dad's only class, they told him to bring some goodies. Well, that same week he went to Meijer and you should see all the food he bought. It is SO funny. He has it all organized in the bottom of the pantry (which makes me laugh every time I open it) and I have been given specific instructions not to eat any of it. So anyways, there he was, packing up all of his food to take. It was hilarious. He seriously has enough "snacks" to last him two weeks in the hospital. The funny thing is that he ate 2 packages of cookies in the car on the way there! I think he was so excited to get to finally eat it! It is so cute, but every time I think about it, it makes me laugh so hard!!!

Tomorrow is our 7th anniversary! 7 years ago we went to the courthouse in Colorado Springs and got married on Brad's lunch break! He was getting ready to deploy to Iraq. I had to take him back to work afterwards! Ha! We went out to dinner that night with our friends Jon and Rachel to celebrate at our favorite Chop House in Colorado Springs. It is crazy how much has happened in 7 years! Brad has been to Iraq twice, we have bought three different homes, we got Allie, moved back to Michigan, and are going to have a baby! We are going to go out tonight to celebrate, our last anniversary with just us. I am really looking forward to it. I love you honey (even if you don't let me eat your hospital snacks)!!!

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Carolina Girl said...

Oh Katie, you are not alone!! I too would lie awake waiting for G to move around. And you're right, everything is just worse at 3 AM.

I'm glad to hear that he is well and just chillin!

Too funny about Brad's stash! We took a ton of stuff we thought we would need to the hospital and didn't use a darn thing! :) Snacks was definitely on our list too.

I also remember Brian driving slowly to the hospital when it was time and I was thinking, "what are you doing????" He said he didn't want to scare me by driving fast. And I said, "GET ME TO THE HOSPITAL!!!"

Can't wait to hear your story!!

Happy Anniversary!!

Rachel said...

OMG! I'm CRYING because I'm laughing so hard! Especially at the part where Brad ate two packages of cookies on the way there. SO FUNNY!!!

Hang in there! Not much longer now! Can't WAIT to hear all about little John's arrival!

And ... congratulations on 7 years! I remember our dinner celebration like it was yesterday ... you and Brad exchanging rings at the table! So special to have such wonderful friends!

XOXO